Latest News

Friday, 04 August 2017
Sauber not targeting top teams - Vasseur
Marko not denying Toro Rosso-Honda rumours
Thursday, 03 August 2017
FIA to 'push limits' of Halo design
Marchionne not confirming Monza driver call
Bottas wants new contract and 2017 title
Kubica unsure of next step in F1 comeback
Wednesday, 02 August 2017
Kubica 'convinced' of F1 comeback - Horner
Binotto pushing for Ferrari top job - report
Hulkenberg calls Magnussen 'wannabe Verstappen'
Decisive period for three F1 drivers
Honda still pushing to improve 2017 engine
Toro Rosso linked with KFC livery change
Champagne returns to F1 podium
Tuesday, 01 August 2017
Verstappen apologised with Dutch beer - report
Italian press backs Raikkonen for 2018
F1 exit likely for Wehrlein - report
Mercedes denies Wolff furious after Hungary
Monday, 31 July 2017
Sauber to be Ferrari 'junior team' - Marchionne
Horner not commenting on Toro Rosso-Honda link
Vettel and Raikkonen 'want to stay' - Marchionne
Ricciardo 'will accept' Verstappen apology
Horner questions Mercedes 'team order' decision
Sunday, 30 July 2017
Red Bull eyes independent engine supplier for future
Ferrari to announce Vettel-Raikkonen at Monza
Leclerc eyes Sauber move for 2018
Mercedes not dumping F1 for Formula E - Lauda
F1 defends editing negative Halo comments
Ferrari 'simply better' on slow circuits - Wolff
Sainz not commenting on Toro Rosso-Honda rumour
Alonso eyes McLaren engine 'gift' for 2018
Mercedes eyes di Resta as F1 reserve
Saturday, 29 July 2017
Porsche not ruling out F1 move
Alonso admits 2018 Indycar switch possible
Unwell Massa checked in Budapest hospital - report
Wing controversy 'storm in a teacup' - Red Bull

News

Marchionne not confirming Monza driver call
2017-08-03

Aug.3 (GMM) Sergio Marchionne is not saying if Ferrari plans to announce its next driver lineup at Monza in one month.

The fabled Italian team often targets its home race as the scene of key announcements, amid strong speculation Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen are staying on board for 2018.

But there have been rumours linking Vettel with a dramatic swap with Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton.

"Hamilton's ending his career with Ferrari would be a privilege, but so far we have not gone far with such plans," Marchionne, the Ferrari president, said.

"I'm not talking about the future as we already have two great drivers with us."

As for the claims a Monza announcement is scheduled, he answered: "I have not heard if Maurizio Arrivabene intends to do so, as I do not plan the schedules myself.

"But at this moment only 11 races have been run, with nine still to go.

"I have spoken openly about the situation with Sebastian, because if he wants to stay with us, he is more than welcome to do so.

"In Kimi's case, we're pretty sure or we know that he wants to stay."

More broadly, Marchionne said he is happy with how the 2017 season is going for Ferrari.

"I'm happy with the season but there's still nine races," said the Italian-Canadian.

"We have moved ahead of Mercedes in the drivers' championship, and we are closer in the constructors, which means we have great chances," Marchionne admitted.

Finally, he welcomed the early impact being made in the post-Bernie Ecclestone era by new F1 owners Liberty Media.

"Liberty Media has made a big investment and there is a good chance it is the way to make money and make formula one become profitable," said Marchionne.