Latest News

Thursday, 15 June 2017
F1 will never go all-electric - Todt
Broadcaster says F1 'humming' once again
Honda lagging behind in simulation - Cuquerella
Wolff backtracks after Rosberg return comments
More Kubica tests 'possible' - Renault
Palmer 'under pressure' to deliver - Abiteboul
F1 to start testing 'Shield' next month
Wednesday, 14 June 2017
Ferrari not ready to talk 2018 contracts
Honda admits 'test bench' problem
Still 'too early' for contract talk - Bottas
Palmer has 'no explanation' amid rumours
Tuesday, 13 June 2017
Verstappen worried about Red Bull for 2018
Bottas 'much better' teammate than Rosberg - Hamilton
Father, Williams say Stroll deserves F1 seat
Rosberg rejects F1 comeback talk
Michael Douglas tips Alonso to quit F1
'No information' about Honda upgrade - Alonso
Perez denies ignoring team order
Monday, 12 June 2017
Stroll 'worst F1 rookie ever' - Villeneuve
Sainz 'sure' Renault will improve 2017 engine
Lauda agrees 25 races too many for F1
Championship 'long enough' for Hamilton win - Lauda
Alonso not ruling out 2018 Indycar switch
Wolff not commenting on McLaren rumours
Sainz, Kvyat relationship hits road bump
Sunday, 11 June 2017
No McLaren Indycar team for now - Brown
Red Bull can't write off 2017 car - Verstappen
Pirelli 'listened to Vettel' about 2017 tyres
Vettel 'most complete driver' - Villeneuve
Audi in F1 engine talks 'good' - boss
Kubica admits dreaming of F1 'comeback'
Struggling Stroll 'will find solution' - Ocon
McLaren urges Vandoorne to 'adapt' to F1
Alonso hits back at Ralf Schumacher amid kart dispute
Hamilton admits Alonso pairing 'toxic'

News

Honda admits 'test bench' problem
2017-06-14

Jun.14 (GMM) Honda has given an explanation about the extent of its struggle so far in 2017.

The signs are growing stronger by the day that McLaren has now decided to dump its hapless engine supplier mid-contract.

"The rhetoric has changed," former technical boss Mike Gascoyne told British television Sky. "It just sounds like a decision has been made."

Some think dumping Honda, and switching to customer Mercedes power, could be a desperate effort by the Woking team to hang onto its frustrated top driver Fernando Alonso.

Asked if Honda or Mercedes power would make a difference, Alonso said: "I think it doesn't make any change to my decision."

Nonetheless, it is believed the final straw for McLaren was the days before Montreal, when Honda informed the team that a planned upgrade would not be delivered on time.

Honda chief Yusuke Hasegawa now explains: "We have not managed to get the right conditions on the test bench.

"Now we need to understand why there is a difference between the test bench and the track," he is quoted by Osterreich newspaper.

Some believe Alonso's team choices in F1 are severely limited for 2018, raising the prospect of a full-time switch to Indycar.

"I've said many times, a third world championship is still my biggest priority," the Spaniard insists.

"I have developed my skills in the last 16 years to drive F1 cars, so it's still the best thing that I can drive.

"If I cannot succeed here and win this third world championship, I still love motor racing and I will race in any series," Alonso added.